Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Police wanted... How do I get them?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Littlerich's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 21st, 1999
    Posts
    506
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    <H2>PLEASE READ "BIG UPDATE" BELOW... (Thanks)</H2>
    <HR>

    I've written a film. In a couple of the scenes I need a police car just to drive past. In ONE scene, I also need a police car and two police men/women to arrest some kids.

    How would I go about this? Obviously, I could call 999, but I'm trying to avoid that senario! smile

    How much does it cost for the police to be "Hired"? How do I approach the police? Should I walk up to the station and ask at the front desk?

    Please help!

    ------------------
    KEEP FOCUSED!
    Little Rich. http://go.to/littlerich www.rmsgraffix.freeserve.co.uk
    [email protected]

    [This message has been edited by Littlerich (edited January 16, 2001).]

  2. #2
    eddie
    Guest eddie's Avatar

    Post

    To be honest yes, I think you should just go up to the front desk and ask them.
    Dont pay them though, they could do it for free or for a kind mention in the credits.
    They can only say no, and if they do then you could just hire a couple of Police Uniforms from a costume shop......
    Good Luck!

  3. #3
    Dale
    Guest Dale's Avatar

    Post

    We managed to hire the South Wales police for an hour. It cost us 50 quid and they turned up with a van and a car and helpfully arrested some of our actors. It looked really professional, especially as they were kind enough to stick the sirens on for a bit. They were top blokes as well.

    I would ask your local police nicely. Explain that its a low-budget movie etc. and convey the idea that the movie presents the police force in a professional and caring role.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member KingDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 1999
    Posts
    25
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It depends on what the scene is about (why the kid is being arrested).

    I tried to get my high school officer to let us use the inside of his squad car for an interrogation scene. He contacted the station and he said that they did not want to have anything to do with what my film was about: a bomb threat that happened four years ago at our school. We ended up using my friend's mom's Buick interior, like the undercover police cars.

    ------------------
    Behind the lens -KINGDAN

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Littlerich's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 21st, 1999
    Posts
    506
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna go down the the police station tonight and find out more.

    biggrin

    ------------------
    KEEP FOCUSED!
    Little Rich.
    http://go.to/littlerich
    www.rmsgraffix.freeserve.co.uk
    [email protected]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member khan488's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2000
    Posts
    45
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    word of advice if you plan on using fake police officers be sure to inform the real police of this because it can cause some problems of confusion. It is always good to have the real law with you so nothing will happen when dealing with issues such as this or anything which may give the perception of danger or law breaking.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member stop_thief's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2000
    Posts
    124
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, all of the advice above is great for actually getting the police, but once you have them, it can be a totally different story.


    For the independent film that was shot in Portland, Maine last year, entitled "PennyWeight", the closing scene called for police officers.
    The directors of the film hired the officer's services for the required hours, but used actors dressed as police. They essentially had the real officers waiting off camera while the actors stood behind the cars and such.
    According to the director when I talked with him, the real cops started to get antsy an hour into the shoot. They thought it would only be an hour or so...but it was actually five. They started giving the directors a hard time and grew obnoxiously impatient.

    That's one thing to remember when you want to involve other people in a movie...not everybody is an actor, can act, or even has the will to try...just because they are a cop doesn't automaticlly mean they will be good for your "cop" scene.

    It seems like Dale had some good luck though.


    Read about Pennyweight at http://www.newbornpics.com


  8. #8
    Inactive Member stop_thief's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2000
    Posts
    124
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Jairen's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2000
    Posts
    17
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm shooting a film that requires some gun shoot-out sequences.

    I approached my local branch of the UK police about this, and they informed me that I had to have 4 Tactical Support Group officers on scene for the shoot, and that they would cost ?30 each per day.

    I am definitely going to try and get all my shoot-out scenes filmed in one day.

    Just so you know, they were really helpful when I asked at the desk. I defintely agree that you should just ask them.

    Jairen

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Littlerich's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 21st, 1999
    Posts
    506
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Exclamation

    Just a quick update, I went to the police station last night and asked at the front dest.
    I was told to send a letter in with my request, including a brief description of who, what, where, when, how long I needed the police.
    I'm going to write the letter today and send it off.

    I'll let you know how I get on.


    ------------------
    KEEP FOCUSED!
    Little Rich.
    http://go.to/littlerich
    www.rmsgraffix.freeserve.co.uk
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •